Today (well, yesterday really), I felt as though I had a little extra energy, so I made Red Beans & Rice for dinner. Not that it takes much energy, but having the enthusiasm helps. It's a big hit in our house and really is a cinch to make---as long as you remember to soak your beans the night before. I hope you enjoy~
Geetz's Red Beans & Rice
1 lb. small red beans (NOT kidney beans)
water for soaking, rinsing
1 small onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced (to taste)
1-2 Tbsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
2 lbs. kielbasa sausage (I use Hillshire Farms Turkey Smoked Sausage)
1. Soak beans at overnight. Check them periodically to make sure they haven't absorbed all your water. In the morning, drain and rinse.
2. Transfer beans to a large soup pot and fill with fresh water to 1/2-1 inch above bean level. Don't add too much or they may become soupy -best to check as they cook and add accordingly. 3. Add onion, garlic and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce and simmer for 3 1/2 hours, stirring now and then and adding water if it gets too thick.
4. After simmering, add the sliced kielbasa and simmer for another 1/2hour. No need for any salt, the kielbasa provides plenty.
Note: Keep in mind if it looks a bit thin that it will thicken as it cools.
Serve over steamed white or brown rice. And with beerbread (our favorite) or cornbread.
3 comments:
I'm going to the store and I'm making this tomorrow...to eat on Friday! woohoo...
Keep up blogging friend...you're good! Then I can give you awards!!
Amy, gave me your blog site and told me she was going to try this recipe. It sounds yummy not sure if my girls will try it but I think I will be making this next week too. Love your pictures Amy they are precious!
Mmmm looks good! Can't wait to try it!!!
Post a Comment